Are you ready to make some fat disappear? I mean really obliterate some fat! If this is you and you’re serious, then you need to work on these four things ASAP!
Throw Your Scale Away
Number one; the scale just became the enemy unless you’re into watching your scale numbers increase. We will be measuring progress in inches and millimeters. Scale weight doesn’t differentiate between muscle and fat and there’s a huge difference between the two. I could weigh 200 pounds and be a chiseled running back for the Dallas Cowboys or I could weigh 200 pounds and not be able to see my feet. The scale weight is the same but the type of weight is totally different. If you are a scale person you must change the way you think. It’s not about weight, it’s about inches.
Number two; it’s time to begin training like a body builder. Muscle drives metabolism and if you want your metabolism to hum then building muscle is job one. I’ve spent the past several months reading everything I can about body builders and figure/physique competitors. Why? Because these people have the lowest body fat on earth and if you follow their template you too can lose body fat and improve your health along the way.
The key to turning your body into a fat burning machine is building muscle. No matter your age, gender, or current body status you are capable of building muscle. I thought I knew a lot until I learned I didn’t know diddly about body building and truly growing muscle. We will be redesigning our boot camp programming to provide you with the best training techniques that will help you improve muscle mass while also attempting to make it fun. I think we can do both.
Every day of training will be designed to improve your muscle mass. I will be flipping on some of my past training techniques. You will be seeing higher rep counts when it comes to legs and upper body but this does not mean to lower your weight but rather attempt to do the higher reps with the same or a slightly lighter weight. The longer we can maintain tension on your muscles the more muscle we build and the more fat you burn. I’m looking forward to the results you’re going to see in the next 30, 60 and 90 days. I’ve already started training this way and can already see positive things happening to my body.
Improve Insulin Sensitivity With Diet
Number three; focus on your diet. I’ve reviewed and contemplated every kind of diet possible, however the most important thing as it applies to long term fat loss is doing things you can stick with over the long haul. Sure I could have advocated a ketogenic diet and those who have the will power to stick with it would have seen great results in the short term but can you stick with it long term. Most can’t.
So let’s attack things we can do long term. The key to losing fat hasn’t changed and hinges on reducing insulin resistance. Lowering insulin levels is the key to eliminating fat especially for those of us struggling to lose fat in those trouble area’s (men in their stomach and women in their muffin tops and hips). Insulin blocks fat cells from releasing fat, reduce insulin and fat loss becomes easy.
With that said, what are some things you can do to your diet to get insulin moving in the right direction.
- Of course the first thing you can do is load up on lots of vegetables and protein. A diet that is primarily made up of vegetables and protein maintains low blood sugar resulting in lower insulin levels and better insulin sensitivity.
- Always begin simple/starchy carb meals (bread, pasta, rice, etc.) with protein (eggs, beef, chicken, fish, etc.). Eating protein on the front end of simple/starchy carb meal has been shown to decrease blood sugar thus decreasing insulin levels. The only exception to this rule is post workout. Post workout is the only time insulin becomes your friend and eating carbs (fruit, yogurt, cheese and milk are a few great post workout foods) first is acceptable.
- Add apple cider vinegar to your night time routine. One study indicates taking two tea spoons of apple cider vinegar before bed to decrease blood sugar levels thus reducing insulin levels.
Improve Efficiency With Supplements
Number four; add a few supplements to your fat busting arsenal. While supplements can be controversial I’m learning some can be very beneficial as well. Add these five supplements to your tool box and they can assist you in accomplishing your goals more efficiently.
- Take fish oil several times during the day. Fish oil has the same effect on blood sugar that exercise does. In addition, when used in conjunction with exercise it compounds the effect. If dropping body fat is your goal, then fish oil must be a part of your plan. (High quality fish oil is important to insure the elimination of heavy metals)
- Add a protein supplement or protein meal replacement shake to your diet. This is no replacement for real food but rather a healthy snack when you need that chocolate fix or a quick breakfast when you’re on the run. You must feed your body for muscular growth and fat loss. Protein supplements are a great way to fill nutrition gaps.
- Take a multi-vitamin daily. No matter how good your diet is you will always have nutritional gaps. A great multi-vitamin fills the gaps and provides you with all the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants you need. One of the main things that drive hunger is a lack of vitamins and minerals in your diet. Fill these gaps and kill your hunger pains.
- Branch chain amino acids (BCAA) help maintain and build muscle and are especially important for people losing fat with exercise and diet. The last thing you want to do is lose metabolism driving muscle while burning fat. BCAA help make sure your body has what it needs to build muscle and burn fat.
- Make sure you add some fiber and probiotics to your diet. Fiber helps lower blood sugar and lowers insulin resistance resulting in stubborn fat loss. Probiotics improve good gut bacteria which improve insulin sensitivity, lower inflammation, and improve health in general. Advogreens Greens Powder is a great way to get both. You can drink this by itself or add it to a smoothie.
I will be doing more articles over how and what supplements to use and to improve muscle growth over the next month or two as I study more and use myself as a lab rat.
I look forward to 2017. Many of you are going to unlock potential that you never knew existed. I can’t wait to see what you accomplish this year. My commitment to all of you is to provide you with best possible workouts, incredible nutrition advice and a support system/fitness family second to none. Here’s to a great 2017.