Turmeric is a spice found in almost all Indian dishes. However, over the past several years this spice has shown to have some amazing health benefits that range from cancer prevention/treatment to weight loss. I found this spice when I was searching for foods that lower blood pressure. Because blood pressure was linked to chronic systemic inflammation I started using Turmeric as an anti-inflammatory and feel it’s a major reason I was able to quell my blood pressure with diet alone.
- Can be used to disinfect cuts and burns. Antibacterial and antiseptic agent and speeds wound healing.
- Potent anti-inflammatory; works as well as other anti-inflammatories without the side effects. Recent research suggest it aids in the treatment of rheumatoid and osteoarthritis.
- When used with cauliflower has been shown to prevent prostate cancer and slow growth of tumors already present.
- In animal studies prevented the spread of breast and lung cancer.
- May prevent melanoma and inhibit its growth.
- Improves liver health; natural detoxifier.
- Slows or prevents Alzheimer’s disease removing amyloyd plaque in the brain. Men and women 70-79 years of age in India have ¼ the Alzheimer’s diagnosis as men and women in the US. Indians use turmeric in most foods.
- In animal studies it’s slowed the progression of multiple sclerosis.
- A natural pain killer; a cox-2-inhibitor.
- In research it’s stopped the growth of blood vessels that feed tumors.
- In laboratory research it’s programmed the death of colon cancer cells. More research must be accomplished.
- Suppresses inflammation in the digestive tract associated with inflammatory bowel disease.
- Preliminary studies suggest it may help in the treatment of psoriasis.
- Research suggests it may work as an antifungal treatment.
- Curcumin used prior to cancer treatment makes cancer cells more vulnerable to chemo and radiation. Curcumin gives turmeric its yellow color.
- Should consult with your doctor before using if you have been diagnosed with gallstones or bile obstruction.
- Should consult with your doctor before using if you’re pregnant. Turmeric is a uterine stimulant.
Improving Your Health,